Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mind maps

Oh, my....it has been a long time since I have posted! April, in fact. The summer has flown by....and soon the semester will be over. We have admitted a second cohort at Duke so I will be teaching the maternity course in the fall....will be fun to try some new things, so quickly after I finished a course.

This summer instead of the "traditional" concept maps we have done Mind Maps, a term and process coined by a British man, Tony Buzan.How to Mind Map: The Ultimate Thinking Tool That Will Change Your Life The outcome of this work has been incredible. While not a short process I have seen the evidence of "deeper thinking" from the students. I did it a bit different, I started with two case studies. Students then had a process and a grading rubric they used to construct an outline, then from their reading (text, an article of their choice on the topic and the standard of care from their clinical site) they completed the visual map. I will be doing an evaluation of the process in a couple of weeks...but all evidence is pointing to that this was a very valuable exercise. I am posting a few of them here. What incredible work that was done.

hg

No comments:

Post a Comment